(a.k.a. Strawberry Rustic Pie)
(from the kitchen of Shirley Mah Kooyman, August 2020)
This recipe is a compilation of various recipes with some modifications by me. The crust is from Laurie Lin of Cocoa & Fig, a restaurant in Minneapolis, MN published in StarTribune July 15, 2018 by Rick Nelson. The filling is adapted from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook , 12th edition (page 582) for a strawberry tart.
Crust – 12”pan
1 cup flour, plus extra for rolling dough
¼ cup yellow cornmeal
¾ t salt
2 teaspoons sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, cold, cut into ¼” cubes
2 – 4 Tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl mix flour, cornmeal, salt & sugar with a whisk. Add butter pieces and cut into flour mixture with pastry blender until butter bits are very small and mixture looks like “coarse meal”.
- Add water & mix lightly with a fork until pastry holds together in a ball. Avoid handling mixture too much or the butter bits will melt. The crust’s flakiness is from the flour being coated with solid butter bits.
- Form into a ball. Flatten into a disk that’s 6” wide, 1” thick. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour before rolling out.
- Take dough out after 1 hour. Using a round pizza pan 12” wide, line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll out dough until 1” wider than the pizza pan. Transfer to pan with parchment paper letting dough hang over pan’s edge.
- Prepare filling.
Filling for Strawberry Galette (12” round pizza pan)
4 cups strawberries = 2 (1-lb. boxes), hulled, sliced lengthwise
1 Tablespoon orange zest (optional)
½ cup sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup orange juice (or water if juice is not available). I’ve also used mango juice in the past
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Set aside strawberries and zest. In a small sauce pan, add in sugar, cornstarch, salt, orange juice, & lemon juice. Cook until thicken about 10 minutes.
- Let sauce cool. In a large bowl mix cooled sauce with the strawberries and zest.
Putting it together
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour the coated strawberries & zest on the crust, spreading filling almost to edge of the pan. Fold overhanging dough over filling about 1” in from edge of pan. Press dough down lightly on filling.
- Brush crust with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon water). Sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes.